Halloween is approaching fast. If you don’t have the time or extra cash to buy a new costume, look no further than your own closet. Jo & Jax came up with 5 fun Halloween costume ideas designed from dancewear and props that every dancer has on hand.
- Dancer emojis: Grab a buddy and pick out matching black leotards, black jazz shoes or character heels, and black headbands (or cat ears) to dress up as the dancing duo emoji.
- 80’s workout girl: Pull up a high-cut leotard over a pair of brightly colored leggings, cut a wide neckline on an old sweatshirt, slip on some leg warmers, throw on your sneakers, and search for that old scrunchie to rock a side ponytail. Go crazy with your makeup and add some chunky jewelry for extra flair.
- Black/white swan: Dress up as Odette and Odile—the white and black swans from “Swan Lake”—with a friend by donning white/black leotards, tutus, tights, and dramatic makeup.
- Backpack kid: After performing with Katy Perry on SNL, 15-year-old Russel Horning became known as “backpack kid.” His “Swish Swish” dance moves (a sort of “pat your head while rubbing your belly” move) took the internet by storm. Wear a simple gray T-shirt, black pants, and, of course, a backpack. And be sure to master the dance move for an epic Halloween Boomerang (and don’t forget the dead-pan face!).
- Olympic gymnast: Decorate an old long-sleeve leotard with red, white, and blue glitter, rhinestones, and ribbons. Slick your hair back into a tight bun, wear a bunch of your competition medals around your neck and bring along a small American flag to wave and pose with in selfies.