If you’re anything like us, you can’t wait until 2020 for the “West Side Story” film remake. Here are just some of the reasons why we just know “something’s coming, something good:”
- Justin Peck. This dancer-turned-choreographer continues to take the industry by storm. Justin joined New York City Ballet as an apprentice at 18 and quickly worked his way to soloist in the company and then to resident choreographer. His choreography has been seen at NYCB and many ballet companies across the United States, on Broadway in the Tony-winning production of “Carousel,” and now, on the big screen reimagining some of musical theater’s most iconic Jerome Robbins choreography.
- Steven Spielberg. One of the most acclaimed filmmakers in history is at the helm to direct WSS. Spielberg’s movies become classics…We’re talking “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom,” “Jurassic Park,” “Jaws,” and “E.T.” If anyone could take the masterpiece that is the original “West Side Story” film and create something equally spectacular, that’s Spielberg.
- A Broadway-studded cast. Ariana DeBose (“Summer: The Donna Summer Musical”), Ben Cook (“Billy Elliott”), Jonalyn Saxer (“Mean Girls”), Eloise Kropp (“CATS”), and Brian D’Arcy James (“Something Rotten”) are just a few of the many actors from the Great White Way.
- Maddie Ziegler. The “Dance Moms” star who also shined in several Sia music videos is finally dancing with the big dogs as a Jet girl in WSS. There’s clearly no stopping this 16-year-old!
- Paloma Garcia-Lee. This Broadway dancer was busy this year…and we mean busy! Besides starring as Riff’s girlfriend, Graziella, in WSS, Paloma also appeared in FX’s “Fosse/Verdon,” and is now performing in Broadway’s hottest-ticket show, “Moulin Rouge.” No matter on stage, TV, or the big screen, Paloma catches your eye with her flawless technique and je ne sais quoi.
- Rita Moreno. Rita won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her role of Anita in the 1961 film of “West Side Story.” This legendary actress will make a cameo appearance in the 2020 WSS remake as a new character, Valentina.
Besides all these superstars, there are so many other reasons why we’re excited for “West Side Story” 2020: the legendary score by Stephen Sondheim and Leonard Bernstein, the still incredibly poignant storyline, and, of course, what will no doubt be some incredible dancing!